Recently in my Belly...

● ...Recently in my Belly... ●

Contact Me

For inquiries, suggestions, comments, or anything else: EDBmary@gmail.com

Thursday, April 26, 2012

[Chicago] State and Lake Chicago Tavern

Image Hosted by ImageShack.usLocation Review
(inside The Wit Hotel)
201 N.State Street
Chicago, Illinois
United States 60601


During my Easter weekend in Chicago, I had the pleasure of staying at The Wit hotel, right in the heart of Chicago's theater and business district. Beautiful rooms, friendly staff, and delicious cookies at the check in desk whenever you crave them! Anyway, the State and Lake Chicago Tavern is the restaurant located in The Wit hotel (@theWitChicago), and serves up pub and bistro inspired food. To maximize our time experiencing the city, my friends and I ended up eating breakfast here one morning.


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
A decor combining obvious elements of a traditional tavern, and a more upscale counterpart



Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Breakfast Menu



Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Table Jams



Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
House Cured Salmon ($15) -Tomatoes, Cucumbers, Capers, Red Onions, Bagel



Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
 Salmon Benedict ($14)- on crisp potato pancakes 

I love the way that this Salmon Benedict was plated, and lucky for me it tasted just as good as it looks. Crispy hot potato pancakes, a cool slice of smoked salmon, and an egg cooked to a perfect runny consistency. It was appropriately light on the hollandaise sauce, so wasn't as heavy as I thought it would be. Deliciously crafted eggs benedict!



Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Red Velvet Pancakes ($13) -Vanilla Marscapone, Candied Pecans 

I'm not usually a big fan of pancakes, but when I saw Red Velvet Pancakes on the menu, it immediately became an item of interest. I've had red velvet in cake form, but pancakes? Mind blown. These flap jacks came bright red, scarcely topped with sweet marscapone and candied pecans, making it more of a dessert than a breakfast item. No maple syrup needed! They are decent pancakes, but the initial "red velvet" novelty wore off quickly for me.



Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Egg White Wrap ($12)- Chicken Sausage, Spinach, Tomato, Cheddar

The name and description on the menu made this seem like such a healthy option, but it was anything but that. The Egg White Wrap was filling, very greasy, and nothing gastronomically spectacular.



Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Yogurt Parfait ($6) -Berries, Honey, Granola 

Out of all these fancy dishes, this Yogurt Parfait was the one thing I actually re-ordered on my subsequent visits back for breakfast. Ripe berries, crunchy granola, and a thick creamy Greek yogurt. Sometimes simplicity is best!



Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

And one last note, if you are a gold or diamond Hilton member, each night stay at The Wit will get you a complimentary $20 breakfast voucher. The meal ended up being pretty affordable, and it wasn't too shabby a breakfast if you ask me!



State & Lake on Urbanspoon