Recently in my Belly...

● ...Recently in my Belly... ●

Contact Me

For inquiries, suggestions, comments, or anything else: EDBmary@gmail.com

Friday, August 24, 2012

[Event] Oikos presents "Christmas in August"

This is a little known fact, but I'm a big fan of yogurt. I absolutely LOVE it. I'd go as far to say that 99.99% of the calcium that I take in is probably from yogurt. That being said, I may surprise you a little when I tell you how I reacted to a yogurt tasting dinner invitation. Instead of being euphoric, I was a little hesitant and reserved. I mean, yes I love yogurt, but let's be honest. Yogurt is not the first thing that comes to mind when we are talking about versitile cooking ingredients. So was it impossible? Not if Chef Rob Rossi (@ChefRobRossi) has anything to do with it.

Chef, restauranteur, and winner of the inaugural season of Top Chef Canada, Rob Rossi knew exactly how to tackle the challenge, serving up a meal with a Christmas theme. I don't know about you, but Christmas is definitely my favourite holiday, so I didn't mind that it came early!


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

This way to Christmas!

The event takes place at the Thompson Landry Cooperage Gallery filled with abstect, and eye catching colourful artwork. Then along comes interior design expert Michelle Mawby (@michellemawby) of the Marilyn Dennis Show who then transforms it into a yogurt christmas wonderland, complete with with ice sculptures, christmas lights, ornaments, and holiday spirit.


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

"Christmas in August"



Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Oikos Yogurt



Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Who says there can't be snow in August?



Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

What kind of Christmas would be complete without an ice sculpture and light sabers?



Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Christmas themed drinks :)



Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

A quick speech from the Chef before dinner commences


Chef, restairanteur and winner of the inaugural season of top chef canada, Rob Rossi knew exactly how to tackle the challenge, coming up with this three course meal:



Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

The Menu




Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Curried Lentil and Yogurt Soup



Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Harissa and Yogurt marinated "Yorkshire Valley Farms" Organic Chicken, and Spiced Sweet Potato Mash

And after tasting the oikos greek yogurt, its not hard to understand why Oikos yogurt is the perfect ingredient. The yogurt is extremely thick and creamy, and is almost like cheese (and who doesnt like cheese?). Adds a hearty kick to the dishes. Made the sweet potato mash creamier, and the lentil soup thicker and full of flavour. The Yorkshire Valley Farms (@YVForganic) chicken was my favourite dish, with the meat coming out tender and juicy. Chef rob made a comment that it wasn't spicy enough or him, but my sensitive taste buds thought it was perfect. Goes to show that a good chef always strives for better!


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Cider Poached Pears, Candied Walnuts, and Yogurt

The dessert was less down alley in terms of pallet preferences, and I felt the combination was a bit too much. Instead, I had a cup of cherry oikos yogurt and port wine for dessert and it finished off the meal perfectly.


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Cherry Yogurt and Port Wine


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Happy bellies being filled


Just when the night was coming to an end and we thought the fun was over, the people of Oikos put one last smile on our face with some parting gifts.


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Gift bags filled with all things Oikos


So it turns out those snow globes we saw at the very beginning were part of our gifts of the night. Instead of giving us just a snowglobe, they put a picture that we each took with Chef Rob Rossi inside. Captures the spirit of Christmas perfectly. Now everytime I see it on my dresser I'm reminded that my favourite holiday can be any day of the year! :)


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Our parting gift to remember the night


Want to send a big big thank you to Dahlia (@dhijazi). Leana (@leannarizzi) , Pamela (@korrelation) of Korrelation Communications, Chef Rob Rossi of Bestellen Restaurant (@BestellenTO), and everyone who was behind the scenes at the event. Your creativity will have me never looking at yogurt in the same way!


So what do you think, fancy cooking with some Oikos tonight? ;)