Recently in my Belly...

● ...Recently in my Belly... ●

Contact Me

For inquiries, suggestions, comments, or anything else: EDBmary@gmail.com

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

[Toronto] Bestellen - Suckling Pig Dinner

Image Hosted by ImageShack.usLocation Review
972 College Street
Toronto, ON
Menu


WARNING: Please be advised if you are a vegetarian or have opinions against the consumption of animals/cute piglets, then you need to stop reading right now.

No seriously, because this is going to be one graphic post of meat consumption. If the title hadn't given it a way yet, you're going to be feasting your eyes on some serious suckling pig.Bestellen (@BestellenTO) is probably one of the few places I know in Toronto where an entire suckling pig can be ordered, so it was definitely an experience when I decided to head over with Ben, Carmen (@carmenhungry), Justine (@foodigatorJ), Jing (@jingloh) Joe (@jsinb88), Mike (@chopstickhero), and Vickie (@kiki_BFF) to partake in a family-style pig roast dinner for 8! For a price of $59 per person (and 72 hours notice), here is what you can expect out of Bestellen's Suckling Pig Dinner.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Bestellen



Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

A wall of meat

Just in case you forget what you're supposed to be ordering here at Bestellen...it's plastered all over the wall.



Image Hosted by ImageShack.us



Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Burgers in the making

Okay, so I know I promised some suckling pig action, but I thought I'd insert a comment about Bestellen as being home to one of Toronto's top 25 burgers. I was fascinated observing a cook in the kitchen preparing the patties. Too bad there will already be more than enough food tonight. Another time! :)



Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Our suckling pig sitting in the open kitchen

It was kind of a tease just watching it sit there, but luckily we had a couple sides to tie us over before it was served.



Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Garden Salad - served with walnuts and panchetta



Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Arancini - deep fried risotto balls with cheese and garlic mayo



Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Stir Fried Dandelion- with cheese and bacon



Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Lentils

The Lentils didn't flatter visually, but they were absolutely delicious. I don't know what it was, but somehow the spices and additional fats that went in made a normally plain lentil dish quite desirable to eat.



Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Candied Butternut Squash

I am always reminded of Thanksgiving or Christmas when I have sweetened squash or potatoes, so this Candied Butternut Squash was definitely my favourite side of the night!



Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Roberta the Suckling Pig

AND HERE COMES THE PIGGY! The waitress thought it was necessary to name our pig to give it some character as she presented the whole roasted suckling pig at our table. Might've been the name and the cute face, but I really felt bad for it's consumption!



Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Roberta Dissected

But that guilt quickly went away after it was dissected and the aromatic steam coming out of it made my stomach grumble. The meat is succulent and tender, exactly the way it should've been. The only one disappointment was the skin, which was rather tough. And if you were wondering, yes we did eat everything,...including the brains. Tasted like foie gras!



Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Pecan Pie



Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Carrot Cake

The meal ends off with some desserts, but I could honestly not eat another bite. I am ashamed to say that my dessert went to waste. :(



Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

The Bill & Business Cards

The bill comes in a glass along with a roll of tickets. Upon further inspection, there were actually Bestellen's business cards!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Take-Aways

I think I speak for everyone when I say the 8 of us left happy and extremely full. We definitely had LOTS left over and each left with a hefty box full of goodies! There were talks of making some roasted pork congee, wonder if anyone actually got around to it? =P





Bestellen on Urbanspoon