Recently in my Belly...

● ...Recently in my Belly... ●

Contact Me

For inquiries, suggestions, comments, or anything else: EDBmary@gmail.com

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Fran's Restaurant

Location Review:
20 College Street
Toronto Ontario
(Major Intersection: Yonge St. and College St)
I had never heard of this place before, so I was shock to learn that this location has been around since 1940! With it's broadway-like lit up signs, and their "always open" hours (even on black out holidays!), Fran's might be one of those rare dinners left in Toronto. Seriously, when you first walk in, you feel like you've teleported back a couple decades. The decor looks like it hasn't changed one bit since it opened! I wouldn't have been surprised if there was a coin operated record player somewhere in the back. The servers were also noticably friendlier than a lot of restaurants I've been to. The one that served us was very outgoing, and the way she conversed with us almost made me feel like I was a regular. As tempted as I was to the all day breakfast menu, we opted to order something else for dinner.



"Triple Decker Marble Rye Rueben" - Sliced corned beef, swiss cheese, sauerkraut, & homemade dressing on rye bread

The roast beef sandwhich was tasty, but definitely not a strict dieter's best friend. It was loaded with melty oozing cheese, flavourful fatty meats, and was served on 3 thin slices of bread grilled crispy with butter. If that doesn't make you salivate, I don't know what will. Rob commented that it felt like eating a grilled cheese sandwich with meat. I think that was an excellent way to describe it. The fries that came with it were crispy and pipping hot. Overall I really enjoyed this dish, highly recommended! Definitely something that shouldn't be eaten everyday, but it could be a really good guilty indulgence if you're not revolted by greasy fat goodness.




Daily Special - Fish with Mango Peach Salsa

This entree compared to the sandwich, was less than unenjoyable. The fish was definitely once frozen and I felt like it wasn't thawed properly. I would compare it to eating a sponge. The mango peach salsa made it only slightly better. The mash potatos tasted like they were done from real potatoes (opposed to instant) but they went a little light on the butter and salt leaving it more on the bland side. Overall not a very good dish. I guess that shows me to order fancy food at a diner! Definitely stick to the basics if you ever come here.


Fran's on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment