Recently in my Belly...

● ...Recently in my Belly... ●

Contact Me

For inquiries, suggestions, comments, or anything else: EDBmary@gmail.com

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

[Toronto] The Harbord Room

Image Hosted by ImageShack.usReview Location:
89 Harbord Street
Toronto, Ontario
416-962-8989



Just the other day, Vickie (@kiki_bff), Grace (@foodinthecityTO), Joe (@jsinb88), Mike (@chopstickhero) Jing (@Jingloh), and I headed over to The Harbord Room (@theharbordroom) to celebrate a very special occasion. (a) it was on record as the hottest day of the year in Toronto (even in the air-conditioned restaurant it was not to be avoided...was still so so hot!), and  (b) we were about to try the the #1 burger as rated by Toronto Life (@toronto_life) More on this part later. So really, what's not to celebrate?



Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

The Harbord Room



Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

The Bar


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

The Menu


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Left: Confessin' The Blues ($12) -Beefeater Gin, Fresh Lime, Mint Syrup, Cucumber & Blueberry; Right: Sangria ($14) - pink wine, fresh strawberry & rhubarb juice, a splash of brandy a medley of seasonal berries & kiwi - Topped off with ginger ale


Considering it was so hot, I decided not to order alcohol drinks and just continue to drain the glasses of ice water our waiter persistently refilled. But Vickie and Joe who ordered the Sangria and Confessin' the Blues both complimented their cocktails as being refreshing and well tailored. Perhaps I should've ordered one afterall.


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Ontario Whitefish Ceviche ($13)- Poblano relish, Tomatillo, Pickled Watermelon, Corn Nuts & Lime


I love ceviche, but the biggest problem I have with it is it's usually a bit too acidic for my liking. But with the Ontario Whitefish Ceviche, I didn't have this problem. It wasn't sour and so I could actually taste the sweet freshness of the fish. Add to that the diced watermelon and this was the perfect summer dish: light, refreshing, and appetizing!


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Braised Rabbit Red Fife Tagliatelle ($20) - Kozlik's Mustard, Tarragon, Mint, Peas, Leeks, Ricotta Salata & Sour Dough Breadcrumbs


I think I might have been the only one, but I didn't care too much for the Braised Rabbit Tagliatelle. The mustard seeds in this dish are quite overpowering (which is actually an aspect that Vickie enjoyed) and I find it's lacking in sauce. The rabbit on the other hand was perfectly cooked and quite tasty. I think a part of me feels guilty even say that though; why would you want to eat such a fluffy cute animal? =(


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Naturally Raised Beef Burger ($16) - Sharp Cheddar, Caramelized Onions on an Egg Bun with Fries & a Little Salad


The Harbord Room burger is ranked by Toronto Life as the #1 Burger in Toronto. So naturally ordering this was a no brainer. I haven't tried too many of the burgers listed, so I can't attest to whether or not it is deserving of it's reign in Toronto, but I can say it was one darn good burger. The bun was soft and almost flakey like a croissant, ecompassing a juicy patty that is just on the brink of being uncooked. We opted to add bacon for $2, but I'd say you don't really even need it. I find it gets lost in the rest of the burger goodness.



Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Fresh Ricotta Doughnuts ($9)- Espresso Caramel Pot de Creme, Espresso Tapioca & Crumble Meringue Wafer


There are only 3 dessert options on the dessert menu, but even then we had trouble deciding which one to order. We almost wanted to get all three under indecisive pressures! In hindsight, I kind of wish we went with our irrational instincts, because the 2 that we did end up ordering were phenomenal. The Fresh Ricotta Doughnuts were soft (like pillows!) with a hint of lemon in the dough. But the highlight of that plate was in the dulce. Creamy and smooth while the tapioca and whipped cream gave it a little bit of a kick!


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Baked to Order Valrhona Chocolate Cake ($9)-Peanut Butter Centre with Vanilla Bean Ice Cream


If you're a huge choco-fan like me, then the Valrhona Chocolate Cake is a recommended MUST order. I can't even begin to describe how good this was. The chocolate cake is baked fresh to order in a small ramakin and filled with a thick peanut butter ganache. The chopped nuts on top are sugar glazed making them taste almost like caramel. Top that off with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, and I don't see how you can go wrong with this dessert. I think I would literally come back to The Harbord Room just for this!





The Harbord Room on Urbanspoon